Hi, my name is Sarah and I’m addicted to cheese…Hi Sarah. It just makes everything better. Especially when it’s all melted and ooey gooey. Excuse me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard.
This was a bit of an impromptu recipe I made on Sunday, and wow, just wow! These are packed full of flavor and are easy peasy to put together. Taco seasoning and chili powder give the chicken a warm, slightly spicy kick. Top that off with glorious melted cheese–WINNER WINNER CHICKEN (literally) DINNER! The Pioneer Woman never steers me wrong.
We all know the problem with nachos, the top chips have all the goodness and once you eat that layer off, you’re left with sad, naked tortilla chips. And while I love a good tortilla chip, let’s be honest and fess up that we all avoid the bottom sad chips. This recipe fixes that with piling on chicken and cheese in each layer before baking it to melted perfection. It’s simple, but to quote Oprah, it was an aha moment for me.
There was no pretty plating of these bad boys. When the Super Bowl is on, all that goes right out the window. And you know what, sometimes, it’s more fun that way.
Let me show you how to make my new Go-To Nachos!
Generously season 3 chicken breasts with taco seasoning and chili powder.
Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil (you’ll thank me later) and put down the first layer of chips.
Next, sprinkle on a generous amount of shredded cheddar cheese.
Once the chicken is fully cooked, shred it and set aside. Put a can of tomato sauce into the pan you cooked the chicken in and stir to get all the delicious leftover bits off the bottom of the pan. Add chicken back into pan and cook for a few minutes to let flavors combine. If your chicken gets too dry, add a little water.
Now you can add a layer of chicken on top of the cheese.
Then another layer of chips…
…chicken…you’re getting the hang of this, right?
…and finally cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is fully melted.
I mean look at that. Yum!
You could eat them “plain” like this and that would be just fine. Tasty indeed. I went with a standard sour cream, guacamole topping. You could also do salsa, olives, cilantro…whatever your favorites are. Whatever you choose, you will be happy you gave these Chicken Nachos a try.
- 3 Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 (8 oz.) Can of Tomato Sauce
- Bag of Tortilla Chips (Or 2 if you like a variety like me)
- 3 Cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Toppings: Sour Cream, Guacamole, Olives, Salsa, Cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Season chicken breasts on each side with taco seasoning and chili powder and cook until fully done.
- Remove chicken from pan and shred.
- Put a can of tomato sauce into the pan you cooked the chicken in and stir it to get all the delicious bits the chicken leftover off the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken back into pan and cook for a few minutes to let flavors combine. If your chicken gets too dry, add a little water.
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil and put down the first layer of chips.
- Sprinkle on ⅓ of the cheese.
- Add half of the shredded chicken on top of cheese.
- Next add another layer of chips-cheese-chicken.
- Finish last layer with chips and remainder of cheese.
- Bake until chees is totally melted.