I hope everyone’s holiday season was filled with lots of joy and family time ❤️ Now, let’s all EASE back into reality.
Fresh starts always give me renewed energy and a mind open to endless possibilities. As a food blogger, particularly in the kitchen.
We live in a world where, culinarily speaking, we’re spoiled rotten. You can get pretty much any type of food from around the world delivered to your doorstep in a matter of days. One that I’m particularly enjoying these days is Halloumi cheese (I’ve recently seen it at Trader Joe’s 🙌). Native to Cyprus, Halloumi cheese is a semi-firm, unripened brined cheese made from a combination of goat’s and sheep’s milk. The great thing about this cheese is it has a high melting point so it’s perfect for frying or grilling while still holding its shape and not turning into a big pile of melty cheesy goo…not that there’s anything wrong with that. It resembles mozzarella in texture, but because it’s brined it has a wonderful salty flavor to it.
When frying, you get the most amazing crust with a perfectly softened middle that has a nice chewy bite to it. Us Midwesterners like to refer to this as squeaky cheese. Topped with a fresh avocado salsa, this recipe will transport you from your chilly snowed in locale, to a warm picturesque Mediterranean beach. Who doesn’t want that?!
It’s super easy to throw together and makes a mouth-watering appetizer for any occasion.
Gather your avocados, tomatoes, scallions, jalapeno, basil and limes.
Juice your limes and add to a large bowl.
Add in honey.
Chop up avocado…
Add them all into the bowl.
Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to let the flavors develop.
Grab your Halloumi and slice into 1/2 thick pieces.
Add some olive oil to a pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add in sliced Halloumi.
Cook until nice and browned, about 2 minutes on each side.
Place fried cheese on a serving dish.
Top with avocado salsa and serve.
Here’s your printable recipe, hope you enjoy!
- FOR THE SALSA:
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 cup diced avocado
- 1 cup diced tomato
- ⅓ cup sliced scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno (seeded if you like less heat)
- ¼ cup loosely packed torn basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- FOR FRYING:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 12 slices (1/2 thick) halloumi cheese (about 2-8 oz packages)
- FOR THE SALSA: Add lime juice and honey to a large bowl and whisk together. Add in avocado, tomato, scallions, jalapeno and basil. Salt and pepper to taste. Give a quick mix. Set aside to let flavors develop.
- FOR THE FRIED HALLOUMI: Add olive oil to a pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add in sliced Halloumi.
- Cook until nice and browned, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Place fried cheese on a serving dish. Top with avocado salsa and serve.
I’m sharing this delish appetizer with my friends over at our weekly Fiesta Friday Par-tay co-hosted by Quinn @ Dad What’s 4 Dinner and Monika @ Everyday Healthy Recipes.