I’m from the Midwest, so a potato never goes to waste in my house. I could eat potatoes all day every day for the rest of my life. I’m probably half potato. When I came across this Rösti Casserole with fried Eggs recipe, I squeaked with joy! They only thing better than a potato, is a potato mixed with cheese and topped with a fried egg. I’ve come to realize most things are better with a fried egg on top, including pizza…more on that another day.
Rösti is a Swiss dish consisting of mostly potatoes. It’s like a hash-brown casserole…Cracker Barrel, I’m looking at you. This is the perfect BLD meal (Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner). There is one tweak I will tell you to make. Instead of baking the eggs in the casserole, fry them on the stove top and put them on after the Rösti has finished baking. Baking eggs is tricky and if you want a runny yolk, you won’t get that in the oven. The yolks always cook quicker than the whites. We fried the up the eggs separately the following day with leftovers and the dish went from good to amazing!
Here’s how to make this simple and delicious Swiss dish.
In a large bowl, combine flour, yogurt, turnip, Gruyère cheese, melted butter, chives, salt, pepper, nutmeg and thawed hash-browns.
Spread the mixture in a 9″x 13″ glass baking dish.
Bake for 30 minutes. If you’re going to do the eggs stove top, bake for 40 minutes instead and fry up 8 eggs in a skillet.
If you’re baking the eggs, make 8 indentations and crack an egg into each hole.
Bake for another 10 minutes, or until whites have set.
Cut and serve.
What are some of your favorite BLD meals?
Here’s the printable! Have a fabulous weekend!
- 1¼ Cups of Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1½ Cups Turnip, grated
- 1¼ Cups Gruyère cheese, grated
- ⅓ Cup Butter, melted
- ¼ Cup Chives, chopped
- 1¼ Teaspoons Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 -- 30 oz package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- Cooking Spray
- 8 large eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add in flour, yogurt, turnip, Gruyère cheese, melted butter, chives, salt, pepper, nutmeg and thawed hash-browns. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Spread the mixture in a 9"x 13" glass baking dish. Bake for 40 minutes.
- In a large frying pan coated in cooking spray, fry up 8 eggs to your desired doneness.
- Cut casserole into 8 pieces, top each piece with a fried egg.
- Serve immediately.