Happy Friday! We made it though the first non-holiday week of the year. Today I’m sharing my favorite recipe of all time. This one holds a special place in my heart because it’s the first recipe I ever created on my own. It also happens to be my husband’s favorite. This is a staple meal in the Midwest, you haven’t lived until you’ve had a bowl. While I was looking through the pictures, I found quite a few were missing. I Guess my camera liked the soup as much as we did and ate the pictures 😉
I give you, my Beer Cheese Soup Recipe.
Start off by sauteing carrots, green onions and garlic in butter. Add a couple of dashes of Worcestershire sauce right on top.
Cook down for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables start to get soft.
Add in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Next pour in the beer. I used this delicious local brew my husband bought me, but you could use any Pale Ale. I’ve used Sierra Nevada in the past.
Next add in 2 cans of Cream of Celery or Cream of Onion soup and the Velveeta. Stir until cheese is melted. Then add in the sharp cheddar and parmesan. Continue stirring until all the cheese is melted. I like a thicker soup, so I add in a little mustard powder, flour and water to a bowl and whisk to make a slurry. I then pour that into the soup to thicken it up. Turn heat down to simmer and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
The final result is a thick, creamy and cheesy soup with a slightly sharp bite from the beer. It’s what dreams are made of! Traditionally it’s topped with popcorn, however I’m more a fan of crumbled bacon and seasoned salad croutons. To make it an even more decadant meal, I served it along side of these Pepperoni Garlic Knots. Do not hesitate and make this ASAP, you’ll thank me later!
- ¾ Cup Butter
- ½ Cup Sliced Green Onions
- 1 Cup Diced Carrots
- 2 Teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 12 oz. Pale Ale Beer
- 2 Cans of Cream of Celery or Cream of Onion Soup
- 1 lb. Velveeta Cubed
- 6 oz. Shredded Sharp Cheddar
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Water
- Crumbled Bacon for Garnish
- Seasoned Salad Croutons for Garnish
- Saute carrots, onions and garlic in butter for 5-7 minutes until vegetables start to soften. Pour in Worcestershire sauce right on top while sauteing.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add in beer, Cream of Celery or Cream of Onion soup cans and Velveeta. Stir until cheese has melted.
- Add in sharp cheddar and Parmesan. continue stirring until cheese has melted.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mustard powder, flour and water to make a slurry. Pour into soup to thicken.
- Turn heat to Medium-Low and continue cooking for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and seasoned salad croutons and serve.
I’m brining this over to my friends at the Fiesta Friday Party. Come join us!