Has everyone recovered from the Thanksgiving food coma and all week-long shopping sprees? It’s been a whirlwind. I’m happy to announce that 80% of my Christmas shopping is done. I’m trying to be better about getting things done early so I can enjoy the season instead of stressing out about it. I started making lists for all my friends and loved ones early on in the year and jot down ideas in one of my fancy notes apps on my phone. That way when Christmas or birthdays approach, I already have a good idea of what I’m looking for.
During this busy time of year, it’s also nice to plan out easy weeknight dinners that can fuel and warm you through the holidays. This Chicken Enchilada Pie is nothing short of perfection. It’s takes no time to put together and tastes like it took hours to make. Layers of shredded chicken thighs, tortillas, salsa verde and gooey cheese make this savory pie irresistible. It doesn’t hurt that there are only 4 main ingredients…HELLO! Layer, bake and devour, that’s all there is to it, friends!
Start off heating olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper.
Cook until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes.
Once chicken is cooked through, shred with 2 forks.
Next, tear each corn tortilla into 4 pie shaped pieces.
Get out a 9″ pie dish and spread 1/4 cup of your salsa verde on the bottom.
Layer tortillas right on top of the salsa until the bottom is completely covered.
Next add a 1/2 cup of the salsa.
Spread it out evenly over the top of the tortilla pieces.
Layer half the shredded chicken right on top of the salsa.
Sprinkle on 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese.
Follow that up with another layer of tortilla pieces.
And the rest of the salsa.
Then add on the other half of the chicken and another 3/4 cup of the cheese.
Now, your last layer of tortillas. Don’t worry if you have a few pieces left over, you can snack on those while you wait for your pie to bake 🙂
And the last 1/2 cup of salsa.
Lastly, the rest of the cheese. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
While your pie is a bakin’, grab your cilantro. This stuff has lasted FOREVER in the OXO Greensaver. I highly recommend getting one!
Slice up a lime and tear off some cilantro leaves.
Sprinkle the cilantro leaves right on top.
Cut up into pieces and add a squeeze of lime.
You guys are going to love this one!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about a pound and 6 ounces)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jar (15 ounces) salsa verde (1¾ cups)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2¼ cups grated cheese (I used a mixture of cheddar and Monterey Jack)
- Cilantro leaves and lime wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Start off heating olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper. Cook until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 10 minutes. Once chicken is cooked, shred with 2 forks.
- Next, tear each corn tortilla into 4 pie shaped pieces.
- Get out a 9" pie dish and spread ¼ cup of your salsa verde on the bottom. Layer tortillas right on top of the salsa until the bottom is completely covered. Next add a ½ cup of the salsa and spread it out evenly over the top of the tortilla pieces. Add on half of the shredded chicken on top of the salsa and then ¾ cup of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat the layering, tortillas, ½ cup salsa, the remainder of the chicken and another ¾ cup of cheese.
- For the final layer add on tortilla pieces, followed by remaining salsa and cheese.
- Place the pie dish on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool slightly and cut into 4 pieces. Sprinkle on cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime.
I’m bringing this savory pie over to the Fiesta Friday party with my friends co-hosted by Johanne@French Gardener Dishes and Liz@spades, spatulas & spoons!